The complex is made up of various free-standing buildings. The main construction houses the house, which sits on a plinth. It consists of a basement and two floors with well differentiated uses. On the ground floor there are rooms intended for social uses, while on the second floor we find the bedrooms where private life takes place. On the top floor, between the trusses of the structure that supports the roof, a chamber was installed. The roofs, made of flat, hipped tiles, have a strong inclination.
The exterior appearance of the mansion has a very unitary configuration, with great homogeneity in the work of its facades. The composition of the house is developed through a prism with a three-sided roof. The volume is subdivided by attaching to the north, south and east facades, two bodies as a viewpoint. In addition, the south doorway has a continuous balcony.
In addition, two minor buildings stand out on the property. On the one hand we could be looking at what was originally the landlord’s home, later converted into a service house. This construction has two floors with flooring and carpentry typical of the traditional Huerta, which suggests an older origin. On the other hand, we find a small free-standing neo-Gothic style chapel.
In the complex there is an important iconography of modernist influence, as shown by the treatment of the inclined flat tile roofs, decorated with a typical Alicante cresting. Also noteworthy are the joint covers and blind covers, the balcony sills, the cast iron railings and the fencing of the openings.
Did you know that…?
The Manzaneta farm was owned by Mr. Antonio Campos y Domenech (1809-1887) and his wife Mrs. Juana Carrera Bellón. Their son, Mr. Guillermo, was co-founder of the first electrical company in Alicante called Prytz & Campos Collective Society, created in 1891. Together with Mr. Hugo Prytz Carter – owner of the Prytz House – who contributed in equal parts an initial capital of 100,000 pesetas. This waste shows the socioeconomic level that the aforementioned representatives had. Starting in 1900, Mr. Guillermo Campos lived on the Manzaneta farm with his wife Mrs. Clementina Greetings Vassallo, whose family owned large urban properties and rural farms in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Alicante.
Mrs. Juana Carreras Bellón She was a woman of intense charitable work. In 1869, he was part of the Charity Board. From that institution, he influenced the improvement of the functioning of the Provincial Maternity and Foundling Home for Orphans and Homeless of Alicante. In the first decades of the 20th century, the farm belonged to Mr. Guillermo Campos. During the Civil War, it was a nursery school for the University School Foundation (FUE).
Only a small part of the original garden remains. It is made up of a walkway hidden between iron structures covered with vines. The rest of the garden areas currently constitute a beautiful municipal park, articulated by walkways that make up the flower beds. Various benches and ceramic planters stand out. But without a doubt the most interesting elements of the park are its monumental trees, such as its dragon tree, its palmettos and two ficuses, which are more than a century old.